Hibernian back into top six with Dundee win

Posted Saturday, February 23, 2019 by PA

Hibernian back into top six with Dundee win

Paul Heckingbottom continued his flying start to life at Hibernian by guiding his side back into the Ladbrokes Premiership top six with a 4-2 win at Dundee.

Florian Kamberi netted his second goal in two games under the new head coach and Marc McNulty scored a double before Stevie Mallan produced a stunning 25-yard strike into the top corner as Hibs moved above St Johnstone on goal difference.

Paul McGowan scored a first-half equaliser for Dundee but they were only level for four minutes and they were 4-1 down when Martin Woods netted as a three-match unbeaten run came to an abrupt halt.

On-loan Sunderland striker Andrew Nelson missed out with an ankle knock after scoring three goals in his last two games but it was Dundee’s defence that looked particularly suspect, letting Hibs in behind on numerous occasions.

The visitors played with real purpose going forward as an unchanged team followed up victory over Hamilton in Heckingbottom’s debut.

Dundee made a decent start and Jesse Curran shot just wide before they had a penalty shout rejected when Mark Milligan appeared to haul Australia team-mate Ryan McGowan to the ground.

But there was an early warning sign for their defence when Mallan beat the offside trap before being denied by Seny Dieng.

Hibs got a soft opener in the 26th minute when Kamberi shoulder-charged Genseric Kusunga off the ball as the Dundee centre-back looked set to deal with McNulty’s through ball. The Swiss striker finished calmly from 14 yards to make it two from two under Heckingbottom after only scoring twice in his previous 17 games.

Kusunga appealed in vain for a foul but he soon got an earful from boss Jim McIntyre and he was caught out shortly after by Vykintas Slivka’s ball over the top. Dieng came to his rescue to tip McNulty’s volley over.

Dundee levelled out of the blue in the 35th minute when Paul McGowan flicked home Scott Wright’s lofted pass.

But Hibs twice got in behind the Dundee defence in the following moments, first when David Gray turned inside and curled wide and then when the hosts were caught napping at a throw-in. Daryl Horgan raced clear down the left, got to the byline and squared for McNulty to tap home.

Hibs were getting space to run at the Dundee defence as the hosts tried to force the game but Gray somehow got caught too far forward following an attack down the opposite flank and was grateful to Ofir Marciano for denying Andy Dales.

McNulty was in the right place to make it 3-1 in the 63rd minute as Dieng palmed Mallan’s shot off his foot and saw it bounce into the net.

The former St Mirren midfielder found the net himself three minutes later with a brilliant strike into the far top corner.

Dundee substitute Kenny Miller had two headed goals disallowed for offside before Woods hooked the ball home from six yards in the 79th minute, but the hosts could not build on their second goal.


Attention: Third parties may advertise their products and/or services on our website.7M does not warrant the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of their contents.
Your dealings with such third parties are solely between you and such third parties and we shall not be liable in any way for any loss or damage of any sort incurred by you.