Salford City 1 - 1 Hartlepool United FC: Salford City's FA Cup run goes on after draw

Posted Saturday, December 05, 2015 by PA

Salford City's historic FA Cup run remains alive after the part-timers held Hartlepool to a 1-1 draw at Moor Lane.

The Sky Bet League Two visitors took the lead in the eighth minute of the second round tie through Rhys Oates' penalty, before Stephen O'Halloran equalised from close range in the 23rd.

Hartlepool passed up several decent chances to win it in the second half and Salford keeper Jay Lynch saved well from Jake Gray, while Chris Lynch and James Poole went close for the hosts.

The eventual result was no less than Salford - who had never gone beyond the third qualifying round before this season - deserved as they put in another hugely creditable performance to follow up their memorable 2-0 victory over Notts County in round one.

And although a tough replay at Hartlepool awaits, they know their name will be in the hat alongside those of Barclays Premier League sides when the draw for the third round is made on Monday.

Salford's famous 'Class of 92' owners - two of which were in attendance in Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt, along with 1,400 fans - will surely be proud.

Hartlepool were looking to avoid being victims of a round two giantkilling at the hands of a seventh tier side for a second successive season, having been beaten by Blyth Spartans at this stage last season.

And they began the game in purposeful fashion, going in front early on when Oates - on his 21st birthday - got the better of Steve Howson, was tripped by Andy Dawson in the box and tucked away the resulting spot-kick himself.

It was an ominous-looking start for Salford, but they responded well and not long after Danny Webber had just failed to get a touch to Chris Lynch's header across the visitors' goal, O'Halloran popped up with the equaliser, sliding in to covert Dawson's knock-down from a free-kick.

With the home side getting on top Gary Stopforth's header deflected wide, but Hartlepool threatened again towards the end of the first half as a Salford defender nodded a corner narrowly over his own bar and Oates then struck off target.

Soon after the interval Adam Jackson fired wide of the Salford goal and home keeper Jay Lynch then produced a superb stop to keep out Jake Gray's fierce shot.

Lewis Hardcastle could not get enough power on his strike when in space at the other end, and Hartlepool then passed up an even better chance as substitute Rakish Bingham headed over.

Chris Lynch unleashed a swerving long-range effort in the 77th minute that was heading in, but Trevor Carson tipped over to deny the home captain.

Ex-Hartlepool man Poole then sent a free-kick just wide in the last few minutes.

Attention: Third parties may advertise their products and/or services on our website.7M does not warrant the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of their contents.
Your dealings with such third parties are solely between you and such third parties and we shall not be liable in any way for any loss or damage of any sort incurred by you.