Man City's Cristiano Ronaldo snub reason emerges as Ferran Torres close to Barcelona move

MANCHESTER CITY said no to Cristiano Ronaldo during the summer transfer window.


Posted Thursday, December 23, 2021 by Express.co.uk

Manchester City are close to selling striker Ferran Torres to Barcelona in a deal worth £55million, and in doing so have made clear why they opted against signing Cristiano Ronaldo. City came close to signing the Manchester United megastar in the summer transfer window only for the deal to fall through.

Torres is close to becoming the most expensive signing of Xavi Hernandez's Barcelona revolution.

A deal between Barca and City is close, and could be signed within hours.

The cash-strapped Catalans will have to offload players before they can officially register the £55m man, but are believed to be eager to get rid of Philippe Coutinho, Samuel Umtiti and Neto.

City's decision to sell Torres is a curious one, as it leaves them without a recognised central striker, and Torres is highly rated with huge potential.

But according to Guillem Balague, Pep Guardiola believes he has an abundance of players who can play in that position.

Man City's Cristiano Ronaldo snub reason emerges as Ferran Torres close to Barcelona move
Man City's Cristiano Ronaldo snub reason emerges as Ferran Torres close to Barcelona move (Image: GETTY)

And that is apparently one of the reasons for City pulling the plug on their deal to sign Ronaldo.

The Premier League champions seemingly had everything in place to sign the Portuguese forward from Juventus, before pulling out of the deal.

That, of course, led to an romantic return to Manchester United, with many believing the emotion of the return was too much for him to say no to.

But instead, it seems City said no to the 36-year-old due to their belief they had a 'surplus' of attackers.

That allowed Ronaldo to join United in a deal worth £25m, and the Portuguese ace has scored 13 goals in 19 games since his return.

For City, they will more-than double their money on a player they only signed last year from Valencia.

Guardiola is said to have accepted Torres' request to leave, as the young Spaniard wanted more guaranteed game time.

This season, Torres has been hampered by injuries and has played just four times in the Premier League, but has still managed to contribute two goals and an assist.

Man City's Cristiano Ronaldo snub reason emerges as Ferran Torres close to Barcelona move
Man City's Cristiano Ronaldo snub reason emerges as Ferran Torres close to Barcelona move (Image: GETTY)

He is currently sidelined through a fractured foot, but that isn't expected to be an issue for his medical.

Reports suggest Torres could be in Spain on Thursday to put pen to paper on his contract at the Nou Camp.

Xavi is said to have wanted the young forward ever since his return to Barca, and has finally got his man.

Torres, who cost City £21m in 2020, will leave having failed to truly make an impact at the Etihad.

Photos

More»


Attention: Third parties may advertise their products and/or services on our website.7M does not warrant the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of their contents.
Your dealings with such third parties are solely between you and such third parties and we shall not be liable in any way for any loss or damage of any sort incurred by you.