Alleged rapist Benjamin Mendy 'had meltdown after expecting VIP prison wing with celebs'

Manchester City star Benjamin Mendy allegedly misunderstood prison guards after he believed he was to be housed on a VIP after being denied bail on charges of rape


Posted Wednesday, September 01, 2021 by Dailystar.co.uk

Benjamin Mendy allegedly had a 'meltdown' in prison over the weekend after he was denied bail on charges of rape and sexual assault.

The Manchester City footballer was transported to HMP Altcourse on Friday after appearing in court, where the Sun claim he mistakenly believed he was going to be locked up on a VIP wing with celebrities and sport stars.

Instead, it appears the 27-year-old misunderstood prison guards after they told him he would be housed on the VP wing, which is used to keep vulnerable inmates, including sex offenders, away from the main prison population.

Mendy is also said to have been shocked at not being able to return to his £5m Cheshire mansion after his court appearance.

A source reportedly told the Sun: “When Mendy arrived staff explained he was going to be kept on the VP wing for his own safety.

Alleged rapist Benjamin Mendy 'had meltdown after expecting VIP prison wing with celebs'
Benjamin Mendy, arrives in a prison van escorted by the police to Chester Magistrates' Court

“He had a rude awakening when he saw the cell and realised who he was going to be mixing with.

“He wasn’t happy and it was a very sobering experience for him.”

“But perhaps because he is French and his English isn’t great, he misunderstood what they had said and thought he was being taken to a VIP wing for celebrities.

Mr Mendy appeared in court on Friday charged with four counts of rape at his home.

Three of the alleged attacks are said to have taken place on a date in October 2020, while the fourth alleged offence was said to have happened on a date this week.

The Frenchman arrived in a white police van, wearing black jogging bottoms and a red hoodie in the dock.

He is also charged with the sexual assault of a woman in January this year.

Premier League champions City suspended the player after the allegations came to light.

In a statement, the club said: "Manchester City can confirm that following his being charged by police today, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.

"The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete."

A second man also has been arrested following a police investigation.

In a statement Cheshire Constabulary said: "We can confirm that we have arrested a second man, age 40, in connection to an ongoing investigation into sexual offences at an address in Cheshire.

"The man was arrested earlier this week on suspicion of rape and has been conditionally bailed pending further enquiries."



Attention: Third parties may advertise their products and/or services on our website.7M does not warrant the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of their contents.
Your dealings with such third parties are solely between you and such third parties and we shall not be liable in any way for any loss or damage of any sort incurred by you.