Aston Villa star Jack Grealish banned from driving and fined £82,499 after lockdown crash

Jack Grealish pleaded guilty to two counts of careless driving following an incident in March and another one near Aston Villa’s training ground in October.


Posted Wednesday, December 16, 2020 by Dailystar.co.uk

Jack Grealish has discovered his punishment having previously admitted two counts of careless driving.

Aston Villa star Grealish has been banned from driving for nine months and fined £82,499 though has avoided a prison sentence following two incidents earlier this year. He must also pay an additional £220 in costs and a £181 victim surcharge.

The first came in his Range Rover during lockdown in March before a second incident near Aston Villa’s training ground on October 18.

Grealish had entered his guilty pleas through a lawyer though was at Birmingham Magistrates' Court to receive his sentence.

The 25-year-old arrived at court shortly after 9.30am on Tuesday morning ahead of his hearing.

Following the collision in March, Grealish issued a video message on social media in which he said he was “deeply embarrassed”.

Aston Villa star Jack Grealish banned from driving and fined £82,499 after lockdown crash
Jack Grealish arrives at Birmingham Magistrates' Court for sentencing

With the country having been plunged into lockdown amid the coronavirus pandemic, Grealish had said: "I got a call off a friend asking to go round and I stupidly agreed. I don't want anyone to make the same mistake I did.

"I know it's a tough time for everyone at the moment being locked indoors for so long.

"But I urge everyone to stay indoors and follow the guidelines and I know I'll be doing that in the near future now."

Extensive dashcam footage from a following police car was also played to District Judge John Bristow regarding the October incident.

It showed Grealish driving towards Aston Villa's training ground at high speed along the M42, A446 and Bodymoor Heath Road on October 18.

An officer could be heard saying "he's at 80" as Grealish travelled north along the M42.

The footage ended before Grealish came to a halt near the training ground, seconds after the police vehicle's sirens were activated.

Grealish had denied two other charges connected with the first incident with the Crown Prosecution Service offering no evidence and the charges were previously dismissed.

Grealish had previously said: “I knew straight away that I had to come out and apologise myself, which I wanted to do; I didn’t want to hide behind a club statement.

“I am old enough now and mature enough to know that I’d done wrong.

“I know I am a footballer but I’m still human and we all make mistakes and straight away I knew I’d made a mistake.

"I’m also a role model as well to a lot of people out there, especially young children who might look up to me.

“So I try to act in respectable manner but since then I have tried to keep my head down, work hard and do as much charitable work as possible.”



Attention: Third parties may advertise their products and/or services on our website.7M does not warrant the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of their contents.
Your dealings with such third parties are solely between you and such third parties and we shall not be liable in any way for any loss or damage of any sort incurred by you.