Bournemouth and Everton share points after Cherries complete comeback

Posted Sunday, August 26, 2018 by PA

Bournemouth and Everton share points after Cherries complete comeback

Bournemouth scored twice in five second-half minutes to force a dramatic 2-2 draw with Everton after both sides were reduced to 10 men.

Goals from Theo Walcott and Michael Keane looked to have put Marco Silva’s Toffees on course for three points at the Vitality Stadium following Richarlison’s red card for headbutting Adam Smith.

But the Cherries, who had defender Smith dismissed for bringing down Theo Walcott at 1-0, halved the deficit through Joshua King’s penalty before Nathan Ake tapped in 11 minutes from time.

The game ended with concern for Toffees defender Keane after he left the field on a stretcher following a nasty collision with team-mate Idrissa Gueye.

The previous six Premier League games between these two clubs produced 25 goals and this one did not disappoint.

A relatively forgettable first half was sparked into life when Richarlison saw red four minutes before the break.

The Brazilian, who scored his first goal in English football on this ground for Watford last season, has begun brightly at Goodison Park since his £40million arrival but he was deservedly punished after petulantly pushing his head into Smith’s.

Bournemouth and Everton share points after Cherries complete comeback
Richarlison reacts after being sent off by referee Lee Probert (Mark Kerton/PA)

It was the second red card of Silva’s short reign at Goodison Park following Phil Jagielka’s dismissal on the opening day, and left them a man short for almost 50 minutes.

Bournemouth’s numerical advantage caused them to push up and they paid for their high line 11 minutes into the second half.

Walcott latched on to Cenk Tosun’s through ball before beating Asmir Begovic at his near post with the game’s first shot on target.

The hosts, aiming for a third successive win following victories over Cardiff and West Ham, suffered another setback when defender Smith was shown a straight red card by referee Lee Probert for bringing down Walcott after the England forward once again breached the hosts’ back-line.

Everton pushed on and doubled their advantage 10 minutes later.

Gylfi Sigurdsson was allowed time and space on the right and his cross was headed home by the towering figure of Keane.

Bournemouth were not giving up without a fight and, after Toffees goalkeeper Jordan Pickford denied efforts from both Callum Wilson and Ryan Fraser, they halved the deficit with 15 minutes remaining.

Everton captain Leighton Baines was penalised for a clumsy push on Wilson in the box and King duly converted the resultant spot-kick into the bottom right corner.

The Cherries had taken 19 points from losing positions in 2018 and they added another one to that tally 11 minutes from time.

A right-wing corner from Jordon Ibe was headed against the far post by Wilson and defender Ake was on hand to tap in the rebound.

The equaliser was greeted with euphoria from the home fans but that was later subdued by the worrying injury suffered by Keane.

He received lengthy treatment on the field after landing awkwardly, before both sides clung on in added time to maintain their unbeaten starts.


Attention: Third parties may advertise their products and/or services on our website.7M does not warrant the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of their contents.
Your dealings with such third parties are solely between you and such third parties and we shall not be liable in any way for any loss or damage of any sort incurred by you.