Man Utd will not change Bruno Fernandes transfer offer after discovery of secret clause



Posted Saturday, January 25, 2020 by Express.co.uk

Man Utd will not change Bruno Fernandes transfer offer after discovery of secret clause
Man Utd transfer news: Bruno Fernandes talks continue with Sporting Lisbon (Image: GETTY)

Manchester United are desperate to sign Bruno Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon this month.

Manchester United want to complete a deal for Bruno Fernandes before the January 31 transfer deadline next week. But Ed Woodward will not bid any more than €50million because of a secret clause in the player’s contract, according to reports.

United and Sporting Lisbon have been locked in talks with neither team willing to compromise in recent days.

The Red Devils want to add Fernandes to their ranks with Paul Pogba and Scott McTominay injured, and a lack of quality in their squad overall.

Fernandes was also the subject of interest in the summer with Tottenham bidding €35m for his services.

In the 25-year-old’s contract at the time any bid of that amount would trigger a clause which meant Sporting had to pay the player €5m if they rejected the offer.

Fernandes went on the record in the summer transfer window saying he had waived his right to claim that financial reward.

Since then the United transfer target has signed a new contract but according to TVI24 journalist Rui Pedro Braz there is still a clause.

Instead of €35m, the figure is now reportedly €50m (£42m), which has been leaked to the Red Devils allowing chief Woodward to hold firm on not going above that number.

United are said to know the financial difficulty Sporting are in and have no plans to increase their bid as a result, according to TVI24 journalist Rui Pedro Braz.

Fernandes has been in sensational form this season, netting 15 goals and providing 14 assists for his team-mates.

And that has put him on the radar of United who are desperate for creativity in midfield.

That need has become even more urgent after the humiliating 2-0 defeat to Burnley at Old Trafford in the Premier League on Wednesday.

And ahead of United’s next match against Tranmere in the FA Cup fourth round on Sunday (3pm), Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has admitted they are working to get a couple of deals done.

He said: “It is stretched, but of course we're getting players back after the break as well, so we will be better off with a break.

“We're still working on one or two things, so let's see if the club can get it over the line.”

As well as Fernandes, United are looking at bringing in a striker on loan after Marcus Rashford suffered a double stress fracture to his back.

The England international is set to miss three months of action, leaving Solskjaer with few options in attack.



Attention: Third parties may advertise their products and/or services on our website.7M does not warrant the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of their contents.
Your dealings with such third parties are solely between you and such third parties and we shall not be liable in any way for any loss or damage of any sort incurred by you.