Sub Aaron Wilbraham’s nicks late point for Bolton to add to Wednesday’s woes

Posted Sunday, March 11, 2018 by PA

Sub Aaron Wilbraham’s nicks late point for Bolton to add to Wednesday’s woes

Sheffield Wednesday conceded a last-gasp equaliser as their struggles continued with a 1-1 draw against Bolton.

A 78th-minute goal from George Boyd looked to have won it for the Owls, but Aaron Wilbraham popped up in stoppage time to salvage a point for the Trotters.

The opening exchanges showed plenty of signs of a game being played between two sides in the lower reaches of the Sky Bet Championship table, with a first half dominated by sloppy possession and missed opportunities.

Adam Le Fondre was denied brilliantly by Tom Lees in the opening quarter of the first half, the Wednesday defender making a perfectly timed challenge to stop a shot on goal.

But that chance seemed to spark the hosts into life. Jack Hunt had a brilliant opportunity on 20 minutes as space opened up on the right side of the penalty area, but he pulled his shot horribly off target.

Atdhe Nuhiu was next to go close for Wednesday when he had the best chance of the opening 45 minutes. He twisted and turned inside the box after being found by Adam Reach, but out came Ben Alnwick in the Bolton goal to deny the striker.

Alnwick’s stop had kept the scores level and Joe Wildsmith was not about to change that. Sammy Ameobi’s cross from the right was met by the head of Will Buckley for Bolton, but he was superbly denied by a strong hand from the Wednesday keeper on 38 minutes.

It was Buckley who again looked lively in the second half for the visitors. Five minutes after the restart he found space in the box but his shot was straight at Wildsmith.

The Trotters could have found themselves in front on more than one occasion. A Bolton corner found its way to Derik Osede just after the hour mark but he failed to make any meaningful contact when in a great position.

A minute later Ameobi saw his shot on the turn saved. Nuhiu provided evidence of signs of life in the Owls attack, going close as the game drifted into the final 20 minutes. However, his header bounced just wide.

That chance was the boost Wednesday needed and they were soon in front, making the visitors pay for missed opportunities. On 78 minutes Lucas Joao played in Boyd, who darted into the penalty area and then fired a shot across goal which beat Alnwick to make it 1-0.

But Bolton rescued a point in dramatic fashion, with the game moving into stoppage time. A cross from the right was met by the head of substitute Wilbraham. He got up above his man and was able to make it 1-1 to inflict more frustration on Wednesday as it finished all square at Hillsborough.


Attention: Third parties may advertise their products and/or services on our website.7M does not warrant the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of their contents.
Your dealings with such third parties are solely between you and such third parties and we shall not be liable in any way for any loss or damage of any sort incurred by you.